Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Give and Take... or Take or Give?

I always feel like I can't do anything for myself... And I feel guilty if I think someone is depending on me for something but it conflicts with what I need/want. For example, the father of the family I babysit for in the mornings asked me today to make sure I come on time tomorrow (I watch their kids at their home) because he has a class with a special speaker first thing in the morning, or something. I responded that I actually wanted to tell him that I would have to come late tomorrow because we have a bris to go to that isn't local. I hoped that the bris would be early (we heard that it might be after vatikin), but I wasn't sure and I would let him know later. This is after I took a week of shorter hours three weeks ago, and come late periodically for other health-related reasons. I feel like I'm taking advantage or something. I'm not really sure how I'm taking advantage of them in this case, but that's how I feel... So, I feel guilty about it. But then I think to myself, "if I wasn't taking this time/opportunity/whatever for myself, then wouldn't I be taken advantage of?" I'm not saying that being dependable necessarily makes someone into a doormat, but being nice often means that people expect you to say yes - all the time. Is that the case - is the world about "take advantage, or be taken advantage of"?

3 Comments:

At 5:47 AM, Blogger SS said...

No, I'm not the real "NotMirty", though it's an honour to be suspected... I already mentioned my suspicions that it was Jameel. But he says not! You'll have to live in wonderment, I guess. The guilt is the worst, no?

 
At 6:27 AM, Blogger SS said...

DM, come to think of it, leave me alone, too. I don't need you coming here and harassing my and my readers. Don't YOU get anything? Thank you.

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Hi SS...
Yes I find that alot. Givers and takers...I think we're all capable of being both.
I also find that people who are Big Givers sometimes..expect others to be like that too..without realizing that for others it might be a bigger sacrifice.

Then there's a whole other category of Users. These are people that just Use others..and suck the life out them..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home