Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Stubborn Characters

I'm writing a story, and I can't seem to get my characters to do what I want them to do. I can't make myself write the story that I had imagined. The protagonists say to me, "do you think we would really be that stupid, really make such idiotic decisions?!?" And I'm forced to wonder how I can write what I want, and still let them do what they want. Maybe it's just not meant to be that kind of story. Maybe I should realize that if I wouldn't behave that way, well, why would they?

....Or maybe I should just put them in their place.

4 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I think a lot of writers have that happen to them. My favorite author, JRR Tolkien, noted that several characters just "walked in" to LotR as he was developing it, without him wanting them or even being conscious of creating them. Stephen King has made similar comments about his epic, "The Dark Tower". So you are in good company!

 
At 10:57 PM, Blogger SS said...

Thanks, I hope you're right. Keep your eyes open for my next entry...

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Whats it like to create..and control characters..?
Do you feel Godlike?
I know when I paint a picture..I feel a little powerful sometimes..knowing that I could lop of his noce on a whim..
lol

anyhow
welcome back

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger SS said...

Thanks, David... Usually, they just sort of ... happen. Or if not, usually, they're just other versions of ... me. I didn't know that you paint ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home