Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Sick

Here I am, once again blogging at 3am - but this time I have an excuse. I'm sick. I feel like I have strep, and well, I had some antibiotics around that I was supposed to take for something preventative, but couldn't find them a week ago when I was supposed to take them. So, I started the run today, hoping that it will help. I should go to a doctor, but I'm hoping I'll feel better tomorrow. I know I won't if I don't get more sleep, but it's very difficult with this sore throat, and being unable to swallow...or at least, that's my excuse...

Of course, I'm still looking for answers. From myself, from God, from the world. I want to be in a happy place, but I feel like it takes either effort, or "pretending" to get there. So, I search, even when I know that the answers are right there. Even when I know that only I know what needs to be done, yet I refuse to let myself see because I don't want to have to work hard. My husband asked me yesterday what's missing and I gave him a bunch of answers, but he kept asking. He often does this when he feels that I'm not being honest with myself and with him, or when he thinks that I'm just giving the answer he wants to hear.

So, what am I missing? What was the answer that I gave him yesterday? I'm missing "me"; I'm missing the grounding center, and the dreamy spirit. I'm missing the ability to lose control and enjoy it. I'm missing confidence and self (and I don't mean self-confidence). In short, I'm missing all the ingredients of a happy life. So, it would seem to me to be the simple answer that I should go and work on these things - ie learn how to BE those things that are missing. Fill in the gaps and become the Person I want to be. But I'm always plagued by the question of "how". I should, as my husband always suggests, DO something, and then if that doesn't work out, DO something else. Because I certainly won't get anywhere by just thinking all the time.

Last week, I hosted a Rosh Chodesh get-together at my home. That evening, one woman said that a person's tikkun is the thing that they find hardest in the world. This means that whatever I find most difficult is the thing I need to work on most...and then I'm left with the question, does that mean that I'm stuck with the same issue for my whole life? I find that discouraging. I feel that my life is always moving in circles, bringing me back to the same place time after time, and I'm frustrated with the pattern. I want to break it and finally move on, but now I hear that it's going to be like the housework I despise - constantly needing to be done again. (As an aside, I realized a few weeks ago that one reason I don't like to do the housework is because it just needs to be done over and over again. There is no end, and I like to think that things can be DONE - once and for all.) They say that it's really more like a spiral - you do move in circles, but you also move upwards, so you deal with the same issues, but in a different way, or on a different level, whatever that means.

What it boils down to is this: I have to DO something - for myself and my relationships. I have to act in order to change. Change does not come from the heart, from decisions or resolutions. It comes from doing.

5 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Refuah shlaima! I guess you didn't try to fast today?

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger SS said...

For more than one reason...

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Elie said...

Right... B'sha Tovah once again.

So when you start to feel, as you've been writing, like you're not accomplishing something new and important, don't forget that you're truly working on a most important new project!

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

Refuah Sheliema...
Its hard to ACT when ur sick..soo. ur excused for now
:-)

 
At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best regards from NY! »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home