Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The book Meme - I was Tagged!

1. Name one book that changed your life: The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath. It was the first, and maybe only time that I read a book and saw myself in it.

2. One book you've read more than once: The Chosen by Chaim Potok - I can't count how many times I've read this one, and it also makes me cry every time.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island: 250 Ways to Play Solitaire (but only if I also had a deck of cards).

4. One book that made you laugh: The Outside Chance of Maximillian Glick by Morley Torgov - the opening paragraph where he talks about how he remembers his bris is hysterical.

5. One book that made you cry: I know this is probably a cliche, but the sixth Harry Potter book - the funeral scene makes me cry whenever I read it.

6. One book you wish you'd written: The Sound and the Fury by Faulkner - I love his command of language, especially how he strings words together in the second section.

7. One book you wish had never been written: Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. I literally threw this one across a room 60 pages in.

8. One book you are currently reading: I recently finished The Trail To Tranquility by Lazer Brody (of Lazer Beams).

I've borrowed the rest of these categories from MC Aryeh's post on this meme...

9. One book I would recommend to others: The Solitaire Mystery by Jostein Gaarder - a really great and fast moving story that also makes you think about life and meaning and that stuff.

10. One of the most overrated books I have read: In the Skin of a Lion by Michael Ondaadje - A Canadian classic, but one I found extremely unreadable.

11. One Book I Feel I Should Have Read But Probably Never Will:: Middlemarch by George Eliot - I don't have the patience for anything Victorian these days...

12. One book that expanded my cultural horizons: I can't think of any at the moment. Oh, maybe the Joy Luck Club? Stupid answer, I know.

13. The book I plan to read next: No Idea, whaever I come across, I suppose.

That's it for the book Meme - thanks to Ayala for tagging me and sorry I didn't notice until today.

3 Comments:

At 2:25 PM, Blogger Elie said...

Hey, I did the same meme today too (just the regular version)! Didn't tag you, so glad you got to do it anyway.

Love your idea for the desert island book!

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger FrumGirl said...

I know I should read The Chosen already!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Elie said...

The Chosen is another book I've read more than once. Not for quite a few years though. Probably due for a re-read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home