Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Some Answers

A couple of weeks ago (as you may or may not remember), I posted about how much I dislike housework. Now, I have a few answers for myself - or at least some insight. Here's the story. For two weeks, I was on bedrest (well, I was supposed to be on bedrest, but I was more like on couchrest/trying not to do strenuous stuff and mostly succeeding, though my husband does think I was a bit selective about this). This meant that my husband was left with all of the housework to do. And you know what - the dirty floors started to bother me. I wished that I could wash them. And then the stuff messing up the whole living room started to bother me - I wanted to organize and put it all away. Then the dishes started getting on my nerves; I just wanted to wash them and scrub the counters, and the garbage needed to be taken out to the dumpster... and so on and so on. This taught me that I really do value a clean and orderly home (!) and that I actually want to do the many tasks that lead to said home. I am completely shocked and surprised with myself. Of course, now that I'm back in commission, the floors are dirty again; the dishes are piling up and the garbage needs to go out again. But I still feel better just knowing that somewhere deep inside of me is a person who craves order and cleanliness, and is willing to do what needs to be done in order to get it!

4 Comments:

At 6:50 AM, Blogger Elie said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Elie said...

I think the problem with housework is that it's endless and thankless. It's necessary, but the rest of the family tends to take it for granted. So it's very hard to get motivated to do it.

I think trying to get yourself excited and enthusiastic about it is pretty unrealistic. There may be "supermoms" (or superdads!) out there who get off on cleaning, but I sure don't know any. Best thing is probably just to view it as a necessary task of life, like eating, sleeping, personal hygiene or getting inoculations.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger SS said...

Problem is, I don't get into the other things you mentioned...well, most of them, anyway. Yeah, that's what I said, it's just a neverending task. I recently heard a great vort on "avodas parech" - we all know that the meforshim say that that meant that the men and women did each other's work, but what does that mean? Obviously, it would be difficult for women to do the shlepping involved in men's work (it's hard enough for the men!). But what's so difficult about men doing women's work. The answer is that it's like building a city on quicksand - everything you do quickly gets undone. Cute, no?

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger David_on_the_Lake said...

I can relate to this....
I'm a thinker..and in my mind and I know what has to be done ..but the thought of doing it just makes me want to take a nap...lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home