Thursday, November 02, 2006

Wrtier's Block Sucks

The only thing I've ever wanted was to be a writer. Now, I know that means I have to write... but unfortunately, I've been letting writers block get to me for far too long, and everything I write just seems like a piece of garbage. Even this blog.

Elster has so kindly encouraged me (in the comments to his story, "The Below") and given me that infuriating (but necessary and true) advice to just plow through. So, I'm going to try. I have been trying. It all sounds terrible. It's just not my voice anymore. But I will keep going. I will make myself sit down and write for a pre-set period of time each day until I get over this. And then...I'll continue on that schedule. My biggest challenge is to keep all of the things I write even though they sound like crap. My instinct is always to just delete them all and pretend I've never written anything so embarrassing. But no more!

So, here's the plan:

1. Write every day - for at least a half hour. (I might increase this at some point, but we'll see.
2. Keep what I write.

Sounds simple enough, no? I hope it is... I really hope it is.





PS. On the Yahoo site, there was a notice that November is National Novel Writing Month, and the challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel by the end of the month - good luck to all who try it.

2 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck. The truth is you should not delete your "garbage" because (i) sometmes it's not nearly as bad as you think it is and (ii) within its badness, there might be some seeds of brilliance that you can come back to later. Nce you delete if from the hard drive, you can't get it back.

Also, do you show your stuff to anyone? Sometimes constructive criticism helps push you through also.

Like the idea of a set amount of writing time a day. You can alays use that time for the Storytellers submission you may have promised.....

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger SS said...

That's the plan...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home